about me






current obssessions

Prince of Tennis
Yugioh GX
Glass Mask
RP-ing as Kirihara
Playing w/ my pet Chihuahua




news




previous posts


archives by month


archives by anime


tagboard




anime blogs

11~15% suki
Angel's Anime Blog
Cinnamon Ass
david.anime
Hontou ni Taihen desu
itsumo anime blog
Kawaii tensai
Kuro's Little Blog
Lair of the Diclonius
life line by line
Lucy's Anime Journal
Matthew's Anime Blog
memento
Mina's Anime Blog
Momotato Daioh
nowhere
Sea Slugs! Anime Blog
Tempy
towards an ending world's tomorrow
yummy sushi pajamas


anime links

official sites

Bleach
Eye Shield 21
Glass Mask
Inuyasha
Mai HiME
Prince of Tennis
Samurai Champloo
Yugioh GX

fansites

janime
False Memories
Kokoro no Naka
Bleach 7
Bleach Society
Prince of Tennis Domain
Seigaku | Karupin.net
Crack Pot
Not Forgotten
Ear Tweak
Ranma Perfect Edition


my random poll

Because I'm a shameless Manjoume fangirl.

Favorite Manjoume episode?
Flame Wingman (ep 2)
VWXYZ (ep 4)
H2O (ep 12)
Manjoume Thunder (ep 24)
Armed Dragon (eps 25-6)
Ojama Delta Hurricane (ep 34)
Private Eye (ep 39)
Current results



results from last poll

How was the Prince of Tennis finale?:

More people liked it than I expected! XD I chose the last option of course, because Atobe is just... *purrrrrrs* ♥

  1. Great! I loved it! (35.94%)
  2. It was so-so (23.96%)
  3. Atobe shower was the only redeemer (21.35%)
  4. Horrible...I hated it(18.75%)
Total: 192 votes

[ previous poll results ]


what's in a name?

This is where I feature a character from an anime and explain their name meanings. If you'd like to request a name meaning, let me know! ^_^




Name: Yukimura Seiichi
Anime: Prince of Tennis

Meaning:

Yukimura is a wonderful character that has lots of potential... His name is quite fitting to his character as well. "Yuki" is the kanji for peace or happiness, and "mura" means village. I think this reflects the serenity of his nature very well.

The more interesting part about his name is the fact that it stems from the historic Japanese war hero, Sanada Yukimura. A brilliant tactician and expert in the art of war, he almost led a successful campaign against the then-shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. He is ultimately betrayed and meets a tragic end. I think it's interesting indeed, that the powerhouse tennis team Rikkaidai's Captain (Yukimura) and Vice Captain (Sanada) are named after this true life hero.

"Sei" means soul or life force. This of course, speaks to Yukimura's passionate feelings toward tennis, and his incredible will to overcome his suffering to become greater than he is. Ichi is a common ending for a boy's name.

[ previous name meanings ]


jpop rotation

rules:
1. Sampling purposes only. Please delete after 24 hours.
2. Support the artists! Albums available at yes asia,
CD Japan & amazon



Artist: Hamasaki Ayumi
Song: STEP you

[[ hook me up ]]

This song is one of Ayu's more rock-type songs. It's one of her latest singles, just before Alterna and Fairyland.

As always, leave a comment if you download...altho nobody seems to, lol....

[ previous rotations ]


winamp skin


[[ download ]]

[ other skins by me ]




my manga collection
part 2



quote of the week



Follow me to the Nationals!

Atobe Keigo
Prince of Tennis


featured screencap



Prince of Tennis - ep 121


user poll

What do you read when you come to my blog? (check all that apply)
Yugioh GX
Prince of Tennis
Mai HiME
Bleach
Samurai Champloo
Current results



calendar




credits

may*star
blogger
haloscan


you are visitor #




spread the love


Sunday, February 27, 2005

* Fuji Shusuke *

Fuji Shusuke (Syusuke)
a Prince of Tennis character analysis by athena
...and some profile info from fanbook 10.5 & 20.5
...plus manga scans from my favorite Fuji scenes!



* * Happy Birthday, Shusuke!! * *


Name: Fuji Shusuke
AKA: The Prodigy, Fujiko-chan
School: Seigaku Jr. High, 3rd yr
DOB: February 29 (Pisces)
Height: 167 cm (5' 6")
Weight: 53 kg (117 lbs)
Blood type: B




thoughts

I'm writing this partly because I love this character and in part because his birthday's coming up on February 29th (leap year baby!). Fuji is my second favorite Prince of Tennis character, just behind Atobe, whom I profiled a few days ago. Fuji's one of my faves because he's not quite what he appears to be, and always has some qualities about him that are hidden, which truly make him intriguing. People say some unfair things about this character, the two of which I hear the most are: 1) he is a sadist; 2) he is in love with his brother. I don't think either is true. But more on that later. On to some interesting profile info from fanbooks 10.5 and 20.5. By the way, I did an analysis on the meaning of his name, so please check that out too! ^_~

tennis stats

Dominant hand
: Right
Playing style: Counter puncher
Favorite brands:

  • Shoes - Nike (Ready Air Biscayne MID III)
  • Racket - prince (Triple Threat Rip)
    prince - (Michael Chang Titanium)
Best skill: Tsubame Gaeshi, Higuma Otoshi, Hakugei


Hobbies: Collecting cacti, photography
Favorite Food: Apples, Cajun food, spicy curry
Family: parents, older sister, younger brother (Yuuta)
Father's occupation: Works for a foreign company
Best subject: Japanese classics
Favorite color: beige

Favorite type: Someone with pretty fingers


quotes

  • Thank you for taking care of my brother.
  • I will break them!
  • Sorry, Tezuka...I don't think it will come around to you this time.

what's in his bag

  • Cell phone - his family is out a lot, so this is a necessity.


  • Pass case - holds his schedule for commuting to school, ATM card and the like.


  • The Little Prince - (English version) A book close to his heart. He's already read the Japanese version, so he's reading the English version now.


  • Vocabulary book - If he comes across a word he doesn't know in The Little Prince, he writes it down so he can look it up later. (awww...a diligent one!)


  • Notebook - so he can write down a description of the photos he takes.


  • Compact camera - so he can take beautiful pictures when he comes across a great photo-op.


  • Compact mirror - to check his appearance, and also doubles as a reflector for taking pictures.

results from fanbook reader survey


  • "Who do you want as an older brother?"
    Ranking first under this question, he responds, "If we could be siblings, I hope we'll get along instead of fighting all the time."


  • "Who do you want as your tennis coach?"
    Also ranking first here, he says, "Sorry, but I'm a strict coach. Because I want you to become a stronger player."


  • "Who would you want to be with if stuck on a deserted island?"
    First ranking Fuji replies, "A deserted island seems kinda of fun. I think I could get used to a life filled with gentle breezes and the sound of waves. Fufu..."

Q & A

Q: Fuji-kun, how did you like that Aozu?
A: My strength suddenly left me... In fact, I don't have a memory of those moments right after I drank it. I thought I was ok the instant I drank it... But actually, I don't like vinegar that much...

looks

Ok, so I said in my post on Atobe that I preferred Atobe's looks over Fuji's. That still remains true, but that doesn't mean Fuji's not a hottie too! Usually, he's got a pretty smile on his face and looks cute & jovial. I like that happy look a lot. But he also gets very serious look, and that's when you know he's about to kick some ass on the tennis court! I really like how there's a dual side to him, which shows through so clearly in his appearance. You never know which one is his true self. You could say that's opposite of Atobe, who's so over-the-top about who he is, and is quite proud of announcing to everyone "Who do you think I am??" But the variations in these two characters are lots of fun, to me.

Anyway, I truly love the way the author draws this character in the manga, so I'm posting one of my favorite pictures of him here. His hair looks cool in this pic, and the serious expression on his face is pretty hot, too. ^_^


personality

There are lots of things about this character that are easily misunderstood, because people probably take his actions out of context. The infamous line he says once, "I like to see people suffer even more," was blown out of proportion, I think. That was in reference to him wanting to see people spaz after drinking Inui's latest concoction. I think of it as revealing his slightly mischievious streak, but I doubt he literally enjoys seeing people in pain. In fact, he's quite the opposite.

He's an extremely compassionate person, who would do anything to protect his brother Yuuta. It's true that with people who have done harm to those he loves, he is quite ruthless...particularly memorable is his match against Mizuki. He let him come to the brink of victory before making an incredible come-back, beating him utterly and completely. My favorite line from Fuji comes right after he defeated Mizuki: "Thank you for taking care of my brother." This is actually something that's often said by Yakuza, as a not-so-subtle threat. Underneath the nicety of this statement lies the true meaning: "Mistreat my brother again, and I'll kick your ass." I don't think this makes him a nasty person necessarily. Afterall, in the manga, Mizuki told him that his "dumb younger brother" was so easy to manipulate. I think it was justified, considering the circumstances.

People also tend to accuse Fuji of being in love with his brother, but I don't really see that at all. He loves his brother very much, and I think it's a sweet relationship...definitely not incestuous. He wants to give him room to grow, and to become a worthy tennis player - but at the same time, has concerns that any older brother might have for him. I especially loved the scene where he asks his brother to hit a few rounds with him the day before the Rikkaidai tournament. Yuuta says he's not a worthy practice opponent, but Fuji smiles and says, "I just wanted to hit some rounds with you...isn't that ok?" His brother, in turn, can't quite show his affection for Fuji so openly, although he does try. Like the time he came home to check up on Fuji before his big match. Fuji tells him their sister isn't home to make him his favorite pie, and Yuuta gets a little miffed and says, "It's not like that's the only thing I come home for..." (And yet not quite able to say he came home to wish his brother luck...) ^_^




the true Fuji?

One of the most interesting things about Fuji is that he keeps his true powers hidden most of the time. He once explains this to Tezuka, right after his practice match with Ryoma. (I don't think this scene was ever animated... If it was, I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know which episode!) He tells Tezuka that he doesn't think he has the passion for winning, and that he merely enjoys the thrill in bringing out the best in his opponents. (In fact, he even told Tezuka that if he had his doubts, Tezuka should remove him from his regular spot). He always figured Tezuka felt the same way, but is proven wrong when he watches Tezuka's passionate play against Atobe at the Kantou tournament. My favorite Fuji scene is when he finally comes into his own during his match against Kirihara Akaya. Though temporarily blinded, he is able to bring out his hidden genius, which amazes everyone...including Coach Ryuzaki, who notes that his skills surpass even those of Tezuka...

I'm really looking forward to next week's Fuji vs. Tezuka match. I have a feeling Tezuka's going to win, but I'm sure it'll be a great game!


other sites you should visit

Tenipuri Fandom
...for scans and translations of Fuji's room and Q & A from fanbook 10.5.

Fuji Syuusuke.com
...best Fuji dedicated site I've seen (unfortunately, the bandwidth is currently exceeded for this site, but be sure to visit back later!)

Posted by athena at |9:35 PM| |

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com