about me






current obssessions

Prince of Tennis
Yugioh GX
Glass Mask
RP-ing as Kirihara
Playing w/ my pet Chihuahua




news




previous posts


archives by month


archives by anime


tagboard




anime blogs

11~15% suki
Angel's Anime Blog
Cinnamon Ass
david.anime
Hontou ni Taihen desu
itsumo anime blog
Kawaii tensai
Kuro's Little Blog
Lair of the Diclonius
life line by line
Lucy's Anime Journal
Matthew's Anime Blog
memento
Mina's Anime Blog
Momotato Daioh
nowhere
Sea Slugs! Anime Blog
Tempy
towards an ending world's tomorrow
yummy sushi pajamas


anime links

official sites

Bleach
Eye Shield 21
Glass Mask
Inuyasha
Mai HiME
Prince of Tennis
Samurai Champloo
Yugioh GX

fansites

janime
False Memories
Kokoro no Naka
Bleach 7
Bleach Society
Prince of Tennis Domain
Seigaku | Karupin.net
Crack Pot
Not Forgotten
Ear Tweak
Ranma Perfect Edition


my random poll

Because I'm a shameless Manjoume fangirl.

Favorite Manjoume episode?
Flame Wingman (ep 2)
VWXYZ (ep 4)
H2O (ep 12)
Manjoume Thunder (ep 24)
Armed Dragon (eps 25-6)
Ojama Delta Hurricane (ep 34)
Private Eye (ep 39)
Current results



results from last poll

How was the Prince of Tennis finale?:

More people liked it than I expected! XD I chose the last option of course, because Atobe is just... *purrrrrrs* ♥

  1. Great! I loved it! (35.94%)
  2. It was so-so (23.96%)
  3. Atobe shower was the only redeemer (21.35%)
  4. Horrible...I hated it(18.75%)
Total: 192 votes

[ previous poll results ]


what's in a name?

This is where I feature a character from an anime and explain their name meanings. If you'd like to request a name meaning, let me know! ^_^




Name: Yukimura Seiichi
Anime: Prince of Tennis

Meaning:

Yukimura is a wonderful character that has lots of potential... His name is quite fitting to his character as well. "Yuki" is the kanji for peace or happiness, and "mura" means village. I think this reflects the serenity of his nature very well.

The more interesting part about his name is the fact that it stems from the historic Japanese war hero, Sanada Yukimura. A brilliant tactician and expert in the art of war, he almost led a successful campaign against the then-shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. He is ultimately betrayed and meets a tragic end. I think it's interesting indeed, that the powerhouse tennis team Rikkaidai's Captain (Yukimura) and Vice Captain (Sanada) are named after this true life hero.

"Sei" means soul or life force. This of course, speaks to Yukimura's passionate feelings toward tennis, and his incredible will to overcome his suffering to become greater than he is. Ichi is a common ending for a boy's name.

[ previous name meanings ]


jpop rotation

rules:
1. Sampling purposes only. Please delete after 24 hours.
2. Support the artists! Albums available at yes asia,
CD Japan & amazon



Artist: Hamasaki Ayumi
Song: STEP you

[[ hook me up ]]

This song is one of Ayu's more rock-type songs. It's one of her latest singles, just before Alterna and Fairyland.

As always, leave a comment if you download...altho nobody seems to, lol....

[ previous rotations ]


winamp skin


[[ download ]]

[ other skins by me ]




my manga collection
part 2



quote of the week



Follow me to the Nationals!

Atobe Keigo
Prince of Tennis


featured screencap



Prince of Tennis - ep 121


user poll

What do you read when you come to my blog? (check all that apply)
Yugioh GX
Prince of Tennis
Mai HiME
Bleach
Samurai Champloo
Current results



calendar




credits

may*star
blogger
haloscan


you are visitor #




spread the love


Tuesday, March 22, 2005

* Dialects in Anime *

Dialects in Anime

I am not an expert of anime by any means, and compared to most fans, the repertoire of mangas and anime I've seen is probably relatively slim. But from what I've observed, it seems that including a character with some kind of dialect is pretty common, so I wanted to do an entry on anime characters who speak them! Characters who speak dialects always stand out in my mind, because it makes them unique and fun to listen to. They also usually add subtle dimension to their personality, which I appreciate. The most commonly used dialect is by far the Kansai dialect, and among the Kansai dialects, the Osaka dialect in particular. This pleases me very much, being a native speaker of this dialect...and I always end up being quite partial to characters who speak it. ^_^

Any characters I missed, that you love? Mention it to me in my comments! ^_~


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Oshitari Yuushi
Anime: Prince of Tennis
Dialect: Osaka
Quote: "Eekagen ni se!"
("Quit it!")
About:

I love this character! My second favorite Hyoutei player after Atobe, this guy's accent is so endearing I wish he could be in more episodes just so I can listen to him speak! Aside from his unusual affinity for romantic movies and girls with pretty feet, he has strong ties to his Osakan roots. Even as he goes to school in Tokyo, he craves Osakan food, and goes back home just so he can experience certain cuisines in their peak seasons. Like most Osakans, he probably hates nattou (fermented soy beans), though I haven't been able to confirm it. He has some metrosexual tendencies, as is evidenced by the fact that he wears glasses (non-prescription), just for the looks of it... Hehe. He has also been seen playing manzai tennis - possibly the funniest tennis match I've ever seen. ^_^


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Dinosaur Ryuzaki
Anime: Yugioh
Dialect: Osaka
Quote: "Wai no turn!"
("My turn!")
About:

This character isn't extremely popular, but I've always liked him. He's got a lot of spunk, and unlike Insector Haga, he doesn't cheat to get his way. I kind of wished that he wasn't always subjected to bitter defeats, as he was at Duelist Kingdom or Doom (or Battle City, for that matter). I'm not especially fond of his dinosaur deck, but I did think REBD and Tyrant Dragon were pretty cool, and suited him quite well. I love his accent... It's actually probably a more rural form of Osakan, and he uses words that I wouldn't use, like referring to himself as "wai." I think his dialect sounds rougher around the edges, and it's definitely not your typical Osakan.


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Kajiki Ryouta
Anime: Yugioh
Dialect: Tosa
Quote: "Kondo wa kanarazu katsu kini!"
("I'll definitely win next time!")
About:

I don't know much about the Tosa dialect, except that it was spoken by Sakamoto Ryoma...lol. But this character is lots of fun, and has a lot energy, which I love. I like how he's always trying to earn money to buy a fishing boat...he's got dreams, which is cute. And his relationship with his father was really sweet too.


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Fujino Shizuru
Anime: Mai HiME
Dialect: Kyoto
Quote: "Tayori ni shitemasu sakai ni"
("I am counting on you")
About:

Although her accent is a little off, I do enjoy listening to Shizuru speak, as she has a very delicate way about it, and it's fun to hear her speak the Kyoto dialect. Maybe it's her dialect that helps too, but she seems to come across as a very cultured person, and is often seen wearing a kimono at home. She also trained in sadou, or the Japanese tea ceremony.

A little off topic of dialects, but one interesting fact about this character: Her Child is named Kiyo Hime, which suits her personality quite well. Kiyo Hime is a character from an old Japanese story (later made into Kabuki), who fell in love with a monk in training, Anchin. Her love was obsessive to the point of being stalker like, and she ends up chasing after him, even after he told her their love could never be. Anchin flees across a river into a temple, but she follows after him, turning into a large serpent so she could swim across the river. Eventually, she catches up with him...he had hidden himself inside a large iron bell. She wraps her serpent body around the bell and with the burning flames of her love, she creates a suffocating heat, wherein he perishes. Hmm...who does this remind you of?


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Ichimaru Gin
Anime: Bleach
Dialect: Osaka
Quote: "Akan naa.."
("That's no good")
About:

I don't know anything about this character, except to say that he's a Soul Reaper, and a pretty strong one at that. ^_^;;


~~~~ * ~~~~ * ~~~~


Name: Kuonji Ukyo
Anime: Ranma 1/2
Dialect: Osaka
Quote: "Uchi mo Ran-chan no iinazuke nan ya de!"
("I am Ran-chan's fiancee too!")
About:

Ukyo's my second fave minor character in Ranma, after Ryoga. She's got lots of spunk (What's with these Osakans and their spunk?? ^^) and I love her fighting spirit and no-nonsense attitude. She's got her own okonomiyaki restaurant at high school age, and knows how to make it on her own. She's got a lot of mercantile pride and professionalism, which seems to be marks of her Osakan roots. ^_^

Posted by athena at |9:13 PM| |

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com