about me






current obssessions

Prince of Tennis
Yugioh GX
Glass Mask
RP-ing as Kirihara
Playing w/ my pet Chihuahua




news




previous posts


archives by month


archives by anime


tagboard




anime blogs

11~15% suki
Angel's Anime Blog
Cinnamon Ass
david.anime
Hontou ni Taihen desu
itsumo anime blog
Kawaii tensai
Kuro's Little Blog
Lair of the Diclonius
life line by line
Lucy's Anime Journal
Matthew's Anime Blog
memento
Mina's Anime Blog
Momotato Daioh
nowhere
Sea Slugs! Anime Blog
Tempy
towards an ending world's tomorrow
yummy sushi pajamas


anime links

official sites

Bleach
Eye Shield 21
Glass Mask
Inuyasha
Mai HiME
Prince of Tennis
Samurai Champloo
Yugioh GX

fansites

janime
False Memories
Kokoro no Naka
Bleach 7
Bleach Society
Prince of Tennis Domain
Seigaku | Karupin.net
Crack Pot
Not Forgotten
Ear Tweak
Ranma Perfect Edition


my random poll

Because I'm a shameless Manjoume fangirl.

Favorite Manjoume episode?
Flame Wingman (ep 2)
VWXYZ (ep 4)
H2O (ep 12)
Manjoume Thunder (ep 24)
Armed Dragon (eps 25-6)
Ojama Delta Hurricane (ep 34)
Private Eye (ep 39)
Current results



results from last poll

How was the Prince of Tennis finale?:

More people liked it than I expected! XD I chose the last option of course, because Atobe is just... *purrrrrrs* ♥

  1. Great! I loved it! (35.94%)
  2. It was so-so (23.96%)
  3. Atobe shower was the only redeemer (21.35%)
  4. Horrible...I hated it(18.75%)
Total: 192 votes

[ previous poll results ]


what's in a name?

This is where I feature a character from an anime and explain their name meanings. If you'd like to request a name meaning, let me know! ^_^




Name: Yukimura Seiichi
Anime: Prince of Tennis

Meaning:

Yukimura is a wonderful character that has lots of potential... His name is quite fitting to his character as well. "Yuki" is the kanji for peace or happiness, and "mura" means village. I think this reflects the serenity of his nature very well.

The more interesting part about his name is the fact that it stems from the historic Japanese war hero, Sanada Yukimura. A brilliant tactician and expert in the art of war, he almost led a successful campaign against the then-shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. He is ultimately betrayed and meets a tragic end. I think it's interesting indeed, that the powerhouse tennis team Rikkaidai's Captain (Yukimura) and Vice Captain (Sanada) are named after this true life hero.

"Sei" means soul or life force. This of course, speaks to Yukimura's passionate feelings toward tennis, and his incredible will to overcome his suffering to become greater than he is. Ichi is a common ending for a boy's name.

[ previous name meanings ]


jpop rotation

rules:
1. Sampling purposes only. Please delete after 24 hours.
2. Support the artists! Albums available at yes asia,
CD Japan & amazon



Artist: Hamasaki Ayumi
Song: STEP you

[[ hook me up ]]

This song is one of Ayu's more rock-type songs. It's one of her latest singles, just before Alterna and Fairyland.

As always, leave a comment if you download...altho nobody seems to, lol....

[ previous rotations ]


winamp skin


[[ download ]]

[ other skins by me ]




my manga collection
part 2



quote of the week



Follow me to the Nationals!

Atobe Keigo
Prince of Tennis


featured screencap



Prince of Tennis - ep 121


user poll

What do you read when you come to my blog? (check all that apply)
Yugioh GX
Prince of Tennis
Mai HiME
Bleach
Samurai Champloo
Current results



calendar




credits

may*star
blogger
haloscan


you are visitor #




spread the love


Monday, March 21, 2005

* Prince of Tennis 176 *



Prince of Tennis Ep 176: Climax

thoughts

Spoiler alert, obviously.

This was a really bitter sweet episode for me. It made me really sad to see Fuji lose to Tezuka...though it was to be expected, since Tezuka is untouchable at the moment. I personally thought that Fuji was supposed to be better than Tezuka, particularly in light of the manga...during his match against Kirihara, Ryuzaki said that his talents surpass even those of Tezuka. It can't be that he's been hyped as the sleeping genius for nothing.

In any case, after he lost, I thought about how sad it was, and that if I were Fuji, I would cry...then the scene switches to Fuji's face, and sure enough, he was crying! Awww.... So much crying these last episodes... Momo...Kaidoh, and now Fuji! I wonder who's next, Inui? Tezuka? I know we've seen Oishi and probably Kikumaru cry before. For those of you who saw the episode "To my dear friend," do you recall that scene where Momo cried, and told Ryoma that if he wants to go to the US, then he has to go? I could have sworn Ryoma was crying just then too. I'm sure he was...it wasn't just the water from the fountain! ^_^

This was a great episode, other than the Fuji-defeat part. Tezuka talks more than he has in all other episodes combined. Heh...well, not really. But he definitely talks a lot. Mostly his contemplations on Fuji...Hmm....

By the way, since this is the next-to-last episode, and I enjoyed the Fuji Tezuka goodness so much, I made a few Winamp skins for the occasion... enjoy! ^_^


summary

The match resumes at 15-0, Fuji's service. Oishi is shocked that the Tezuka zone has been broken. Inui says the Triple counter (Higuma Otoshi) has revitalized itself... Fuji serves his underhanded disappearing serve. Tezuka manages to return it: Fuji thinks, "As expected of you. But..!" Fuji jumps up and smashes, winning the point. 30-0. He serves underhand again, but Tezuka says it's not going to work again. He returns it, and Fuji counters with the Tsubame Gaeshi. 40-0. Tezuka notes that Fuji has led one step ahead on this one. Oishi expresses surprise by the fact that Fuji has surpassed Tezuka's expectations. Inui says it's not possible for Tezuka to activate his zone in such a situation.

Fuji thinks to himself: I don't sense the surrounding sounds and scenery...I may never have had such intense concentration before. Thanks...Tezuka!

This time, it's a normal serve. Eiji notes that he's never seen Fuji like this before. "Of course," Ryuzaki responds. "It's because up until now, Fuji has never had a passion for winning." She turns to the players on the team and ask each of them in turn what they do when they lose.

Eiji: "I go cry on Oishi's shoulder, and ponder back on what I did wrong..."

Inui: "I go over the data from the match, and analyze it, and try to work out the weaknesses for future games."

Kaidoh: "I get pissed...so I'll double my practice."

Ryuzaki says, "Exactly. Everyone feels bad about losing, and try to do better for next time, so they can win. But Fuji doesn't play to win or to get stronger. He enjoys the thrill of it, and it's like a game to him." She explains that in his matches against Kirihara and Mizuki, he played for other people (his brother and Tachibana), and didn't truly bring out his talent. This match, however, is different. For the first time ever, he is serious about wanting to win...against Tezuka, his teammate since first year...and a guy who is in many ways, his opposite.

Fuji wins the game with his Higuma Otoshi. 4-3.

Tezuka thinks that it's been a long time since he's felt this cornered in a match where he was in top condition. He serves. They rally, and then Fuji hits his Tsubame Gaeshi...it goes to the Tezuka zone, and he returns it. But Fuji says "That won't work on me anymore," dashing to the net. He hits his Hakugei, and Tezuka anticipates that it will bounce back toward him. It does indeed bounce back, but at a sharp angle, away from him. It hits the net... 0-15. Momo's shocked that even the Zero shiki doesn't work on Fuji. The team's surprized that Fuji was able to change the direction where the Hakugei bounces. Ryuzaki notes that this is certainly the arrival of a Fuji that no one has ever seen before.



Tezuka is now hitting balls without a topspin, supposedly to stop the Tsubame gaeshi...but Fuji manags to hit one back anyways, 0-30. Inui says it's like the Tsubame Gaeshi, but he returned a slice with a topspin...

A reverse Tsubame Gaeshi, Tezuka thinks. To think he's come up with such a skill on the spot...a guy to be feared....more so than I ever imagined. As they are facing each other across the net, the scene switches to the time when they were first years...

* Flashback *

Tezuka's thoughts:
Back when we were first years, I thought you were a more quiet type... Kawamura's power... Kikumaru's reflexes... Oishi's accuracy... and Inui's analytic powers... Among the teammates with individuality, you didn't stand out as much... However...

There's a scene where Fuji manages to return a fly ball with great precision. Tezuka is watching from the side, and ponders. Later, they are collecting balls, and Fuji asks Tezuka whether he's actually left handed. "How did you know? Not even Ryuzaki sensei knows about it," Tezuka says. It's just something that Fuji had surmised from his observation.. Tezuka says, "You have good instincts," to which Fuji replies that they should go home soon...the gates will be locked before long. Tezuka watches Fuji as he walks away...

Back in the present, the match continues. 0-40. Tezuka thinks, He's strong...certainly, he is one of the top players I have ever played against. In truth, back then... He flashes back to the scene where he promises Fuji to play a match, back in first year.

The reason why I promised...was because I wanted to reveal your true identity. Just like I wasn't using my left hand, you haven't been playing your best either. I wanted to expose the true you. But...

The scene changes to their first year's match.

Under usual circumstances, I would have asked him to reschedule our match, when I could be in my best condition. But the reason I didn't may have been that I was a little over-anxious to measure the true strength of this mysterious teammate of mine.

Eventually...you slowly began to reveal your skills.
There's a flashback from year 2, when Fuji's playing against another school as a Seigaku regular. By second year, the name of Seigaku's "Fuji Shusuke" was already famous. But in my eyes, it still didn't appear as though you were playing to your capacity.

The scene switches to 1st year Momo and Kaidoh competing against each other during practice, with 2nd year Eiji remarking to Fuji how those two are really going at it. Tezuka's thoughts continue... If you had more of a fighting spirit, we may have been more like rivals...like Momoshiro and Kaidoh. I thought that you were purposely avoiding playing me...that subconsciously, you were saving your strength. And time passed, without us ever determining who was the stronger player. One day, when my left arm is healed, we will have a rematch...and this time, I will bring out your true abilities... that had become my desire.

Scene is now on the school rooftop, 3rd year, before Tezuka leaves for Germany.

Fuji: "Germany, huh? That's pretty far..."

Tezuka: "Don't worry. Although I won't be here, Seigaku has Oishi...and you."

"How long will you be gone?"

"I don't know...I'm going to concentrate on getting better, for now.

"So when you return, you will be Tezuka Kunimitsu, in perfect condition."

"Yeah. I'll be able to play in my best condition. Against anybody."

"Anybody?"

"Anybody." He emphasizes the word meaningfully.

"Is that right? Well...I look forward to it," Fuji says hesitantly.


Back in the present, Oishi is asking, "Then...this lineup was Tezuka's request?" Ryuzaki answers "Yes, but it's not like I manipulated it just to take in the player's wishes. It was my wish as well."

The teammates note that Tezuka's hits have become sharper and stronger. (The flying ball turns into a cheesy looking aparition of a dragon...hehe... Fuji's ball turns into some kind of bear?)

Tezuka thinks: "I finally understand...why I was wishing for a match with you so much..."

Fuji thinks: "I finally understand...why I was avoiding a match against you so much, even though I wanted it at the same time..."

Tezuka: "...because I knew that by playing you, I can better myself."

Fuji: "...because by playing you, I will change myself. I was scared of that."

Tezuka: "Now, you are truly my best rival!"

Fuji: "You once asked me where my true self really was. The answer is finally revealed itself. My true self is...HERE! Here, on this court, as I battle against you!"

Fuji hits a Tsubame Gaeshi, but it returns to the Tezuka zone. He hits a Hakugei, and Tezuka flies up (v dramatically, I might add) and smashes it. Fuji think he can return it with the Higuma Otoshi, but the ball hits the top fo the net, and falls behind him. 6-6. Fuji realizes that it is the same technique Ryoma used to break his Higuma.

It goes into tiebreak. It's now 6-5, Tezuka's match point. Fuji serves, thinking, "I won't let you take this point...Tezuka!" The ball eventually makes it to Tezuka zone, and Fuji thinks he's gonna do a drop shot. But Tezuka grabs the racket with both hands, hitting the ball back with great power. Fuji Hakugeis the return, and Tezuka smashes, hitting it onto the net again. Fuji does the Higuma, thinking he has won the point...but Tezuka spins the air and switches hands at the last minute, and manages to swing around to hit a right-handed Zero shiki drop. Fuji is in shock. Tezuka wins, 7-6.

"I didn't think you would hit a right-handed Zero-shiki right there... You are truly amazing, Tezuka," Fuji says.

"It's not like I was aiming for it. My body just moved by reflex..." He looks up. Tears are streaming down Fuji's face. "Fuji..."


"I didn't know that losing could be so bitter," he says. "But it feels great..." Tezuka smiles, and offers his hand. They shake...

Ryuzaki says.."Ryoma...Fuji and Tezuka had a great match." There's a once in a lifetime pic of Fuji and Tezuka with their arms around each other, and Tezuka has on a million dollar smile. Absolutely. Adorable. So I forgive him for beating Fujiko-chan. ^_^

In the states, Ryoma wins his first match. He says, "I can't lose so easily...I've left a lot behind." He grins...

Next time: Final episode! 1 hour special! *cries*
Airs on March 30th.

Posted by athena at |5:29 PM| |

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com